Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Artistic Rant...what painting really costs.

I had attempted to advertise my painting on a Facebook group a while back and a few people commented that they thought I charged too much. They were not nice in their response. So let me break it down for you. Here is what painting a model really costs! The words in bold are the items for which the price is being listed.




I have to clean the models, that requires a hobby knife, and files: $10

I have to glue the model to the base: $3

If the model does not have a base I have to provide it: $.25

I have to prime the model: $.99

I then use a minimum of 10 paints: $30

I use at least two different brushes once of which is a Series 7, and a crap brush: $20

I have to Seal the model: $3(the price is actually 5, but I use the Hobby Lobby Coupon)

I then flock the model: $5

So with materials you are looking at 72.24 and I have been doing this for years so I know how to do it on the cheap. This does not take into account the amount of time I have taken to learn the techniques, classes taken and so on.

I often wonder if these people try to talk down their mechanic, the guy at McDonalds, etc....

1 comment:

  1. I've purchased Chuck's minis on eBay and through commision, and I think they're a bargain for the amount of time and effort that goes into them. The quality of his work is phenomenal. Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

    ReplyDelete